{Express Yourself} ~ Expressionism poster Back from the Dead

I was recently teaching my students some Expressionistic drawing techniques for a unit devoted to Expressionism.

I got to dust off all my old textbooks from my University days taking Art History courses in Early Modern Art, where Expressionism featured prominently.

The Expressionists revitalized the old woodblock cutting and printing aesthetic from the Renaissance but with a cruder, bolder technique largely inspired by African statuary.

All that book learning served an entirely practical purpose.   I was hired to illustrate a poster in the mid-nineties based on the subject of backing your data regularly with the title "Back From the Dead" and we opted for that Expressionistic style.

The poster was designed by Robert Smith, then Art Director at Storm Communications Ltd., and printed using silk screen printing. 

Comments

Popular Posts